Google Apps Quick Start Guide
Log in and start using your email, calendar, and chat features now
Log in to Gmail
1. Go to your Google Apps Mail page: https://[enter your URL] Or, double-click the Gmail shortcut on your desktop:
2. On the Sign In page, enter your existing DuckID user name and password, and then click Sign In:
3. If this is your first time logging in, follow the on-screen instructions to activate your account.
Your Gmail Inbox appears. For example:
NOTE: Only applies if administrator is migrating email.
Important: Although your email messages were migrated from Microsoft Outlook to Google Apps, some data was not migrated. You can recreate this data in Google Apps. For more information, see “Next Steps” below.
Applies if user is migrating email from Outlook:
Important: Your Inbox will likely contain some “unread” messages that you’ve already opened in Outlook over the past 24 hours and a few new messages. If necessary, you can transfer past messages from Outlook to Google Apps, using a simple utility. For more information, see “Next Steps” below.
To read a message: Click it to open it:
To reply to or forward a message: Open it, and then click an option at the bottom of the message card:
To compose a new message: Click Compose mail:
Open Your Calendar
To open your calendar: Click the Calendar link at the top of your Mail window:
If this is the first time you’ve opened your calendar, you’ll be asked to set your time zone.
Your calendar appears. For example:
Important: Your calender events were migrated from Microsoft Outlook to Google Apps. Check your calendar to make sure all of your events were migrated.
Important: Your calendar is most likely empty or contains only a few new events. To see all of your events, you’ll need to migrate them from Microsoft Outlook to Google Apps. For more information, see “Next Steps” below.
Important: Your calendar will likely be empty or show only a few new invitations. Therefore, you’ll need to recreate your calendar events. For more information, see “Next Steps” below.
Use Your Calendar
To change your calendar view: Click the tabs in the upper-right corner of the view:
To view or edit details about an event: Click its name:
To create an event: Click Create Event:
Use Chat in Gmail
Your Mail window includes a Chat gadget, which lets you send and receive instant messages with your colleagues:
The Chat window shows a list of people you’ve recently communicated with. You can also find a coworker by starting to type his or her name or email address in the Search, add, or invite box.
To start a chat: Simply point to a user in the list or search results, and then click Chat (or, if you haven’t yet chatted with the user, click Invite to Chat):
Note: A green dot appears to the left of a contact who is online and available.
Refer to the guide Getting Started with Google Apps to:
- Import your email, personal contacts, and calendar events, using Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook, an easy-to-use desktop utility. (add link to guide)
- Set up your email, including adding an email signature, setting up email filters, and creating contact groups (email lists)
- Set up your calendar, including recreating your events and turning on event notifications
- Learn how to use key features in Gmail and Calendar
If You Need Help
CASIT Helpdesk Services, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 346-2388