UOmail: Gmail for Android
This article is designed to guide Android users through the process of configuring Gmail to access their Exchange account for email and calendaring.
Adding your Exchange Account to Gmail requires giving full access to your phone to Exchange. If your phone is ever lost or stolen, you or a UO Exchange Administrator can remotely wipe the phone. Administrators will never wipe your phone without your explicit authorization.
If you do not feel comfortable with this, please utilize the Outlook App which only provides access to remotely wipe the app.
Adding Exchange Account
- By default, all Android phones come with the Gmail app pre-installed. Please navigate to and open the Gmail app.
- If you have never added an account to Gmail, you will see the following screen. If you are already using Gmail, please proceed to Step 4.
- Click the SKIP button the bottom left corner to proceed.
- Click the Menu button in the upper-left corner (three horizontal lines)
- On the Gmail Account Management, screen click Add an email address.
- On the Set up email screen, select Exchange and Office 365
- Enter your email address and press NEXT
- Enter your DuckID password and click NEXT
- The next screen will ask for Incoming Server Settings. Gmail should auto-populate these settings, however, if it does not please enter the following then click NEXT:
- You will now receive a pop up asking about Remote security administration – click OK to navigate to the next screen
Gmail will now ask to activate a number of administrative abilities, including locking the phone, wiping data, etc. You must agree to this if you wish to use Gmail. Tap Activate this device admin app to proceed.
- (Optional): Enter an Account Name – we recommend something like UO Exchange or UOmail. Click NEXT.
- Click TAKE ME TO GMAIL to proceed with utilizing Gmail to access Exchange
- Please allow time for all of your folders and emails to sync from the server.
Removing an Email Account from Gmail
Note: Please consult CASIT before removing your Webmail account if you need assistance with making sure contacts, calendar events, notes, etc. are saved and transferred correctly.
- Open the Gmail App
- Navigate to the accounts management menu
- On the Users & accounts screen tap the name of the account you wish to remove.
- Click the Remove Account button and the bottom of the screen
- You will receive a popup verifying you want to remove the account – click Remove Account one more time and the account will be removed.